Here’s a rough idea of the timeline for the O-1 visa process:
1. Prep work: from 1 up to 12 months. First things first, you collect all the necessary docs and get your visa petition ready. This can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on how complicated your case is and how easily you can get your hands on supporting documentation.
2. Filing: from 3 days up to one month. Once you’re all set, you’ll file your O-1 visa petition with USCIS. The processing time for this can range, depending on how busy USCIS is at the moment.
3. Decision time: The most recent processing time for an O-1 visa is anywhere from 3 weeks to 4 months. Premium processing- takes only 15 days. If it’s approved, they’ll give you an Approval Notice.
4. Consular processing: If your petition is a go, the next step is to head to a U.S. embassy or consulate for a visa interview. This part can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on where you are and how busy the embassy or consulate is.
5. Welcome to the USA: Once you’ve got your visa, you’re good to go to the US and start working in your specialty job.